Saturday, March 27, 2010

vacation horseback riding question

I had a lovely time on Mackinac Island, and saw people of all sizes and ages riding horses around the streets. I would very much love to do that on my next visit, but I am 60 and have never ridden a horse before although I am physically fit. Coud anyone with experience on this offer tips?



vacation horseback riding question


Cindy%26#39;s riding stables (on Market Street) is the place to call before you head to the island. I am certain you%26#39;d have no problem with their gentle giants! Have them give you a route that won%26#39;t give you any surprises, and enjoy your trip!



vacation horseback riding question


I also got my horse from Cindy%26#39;s. A very pleasant experience. You will love it. We went on a private ride. They are very careful to match you with a horse that will fit your age/experience. Enjoy!!




It sounds to me like the stables there are quite nice and accommodating for riders. I would definitely try it! I say that because I took up riding at the age of 45 and found out that it was what I was meant to do.





Go for it! I know you will enjoy it!




I must warn all of you and especially parents that take there children to Jacks Livery, when you sign the waiver to ride make sure you check out there equipment first because they are not responsible for faulty equipment and they do not take proper care of there saddles. I broke my back and have had 2 surgeries riding one of there horses due to faulty equipment, there saddle was dry rotted and split in two pieces while riding. They told me they would cover my medical expenses which totaled more then $25,000, they never did and left me indebt trying to pay off the doctors and hospitals and to this day my back still is not correct and I have constant pain.




Jen,





We rent horses from Cindy%26#39;s, but once from Jack%26#39;s as well, when we visit the island. It%26#39;s nice to ride down interior trails and see sights most visitors never encounter.





As noted in another reply, accidents happen and you sign a waiver releasing the operator from anything that happens to you. Cindy even gives you the option of riding without a helmet (I don%26#39;t recommend that).





State laws require all equine facilities post warnings letting participants know they face injury/death, so just make sure you%26#39;re comfortable with those facts prior to riding.





When we rent from Cindy%26#39;s, a guide takes us out of town then let%26#39;s us go on our own. The horses know the route. Really. I once tried to go down too steep a road and the horse wanted no part of it. Trust the horse. They know the way back to the hay!





A phone call to the stable could answer any of your questions. I imagine guides are also available for the entire trip if you aren%26#39;t comfortable riding on your own. You can also rent a horse and buggy if you prefer that option.





Have a great trip!




AtlantaPhotog I know you are mostly replying to Brokenback%26#39;s comment, which is good. The post Jen posted was back in August of 2006.



Brokenback had to go all the way back to 2006 to find a place to make the comment.




Actually I have posted this in several locations and believe me if it happened to you, you would be doing the same thing, also Cindy%26#39;s is owned by Jacks, The Gough family. I am an experienced rider and if this accident was the fault of mine I could live with that but when it is the fault of the Livery I can not and if I wasn%26#39;t physically fit the doctors said I would not be walking today. So tell me would you like to see other people or children have to go through that? and when the owners personally told me they would take care of the bills and sent me a letter saying they would and also told me to my face. Believe me I would not wish this on anyone, the pain is constant and I have a slice in my back and it has stopped me from doing some of my favorite activitys and day to day tasks.




Yooperbacker, I thought it was odd that so many people had already commented on it!! I didn%26#39;t catch the date. Oh well. Guess they didn%26#39;t fall off their horse!




Yes, there are so many old posts popping up today with new comments....Did you see the posts regarding Saugatuck? All received new replies to posts from 2006. Moms




I noticed that old post being brought up to. And on the same day. A bit strange.





AtlantaPhotog I would say your right about not falling off the horse. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment