Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weekend getaway with my dog?

My husband and I live in Indianapolis. We%26#39;d like to drive up to Michigan for a long weekend trip with our dog (he%26#39;s a big dog, 80lbs) this summer. I%26#39;d especially like to be able to take the dog to someplace he can go swim in Lake Michigan, since he loves to swim.





Any suggestions? We%26#39;re just looking for a relaxing weekend getaway, maybe with some nice scenery, hiking and beach time or gardens. I%26#39;d really like it if we could find someplace that has lots of outdoor cafes and such so we could have our dog with us all the time. We%26#39;d also need somewhere that has a hotel that accepts large dogs.





Thanks!



Weekend getaway with my dog?


Here is a website that may be helpful.





www.dogfriendlyhotels.org/…





I love Traverse City. I typed in that city and got two dog friendly hotels. The Quality Inn is across from Grand Traverse Bay. Try some other cities along the Lake Michigan shore (Grand Haven for instance....) Good luck. Moms



Weekend getaway with my dog?


I just noticed that the Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island welcomes pets! It%26#39;s called Pets at the Point. Here is their special:







http://www.missionpoint.com/special6.html





Moms




It%26#39;s been several years, but we stayed with our two golden retrievers at the Holiday Inn in Grand Haven. From there we hiked in Grand Haven State Park and Muskegon State Park. Maybe also P.J. Hoffmaster. Great dunes hiking in the area. The public beaches don%26#39;t allow dogs on Lake Michigan, and they need to be on leash on the trails.





We also rented a cabin (found through vrbo.com) somewhere north of there, closer to Silver Lake but not quite that far north. The beach was private, so the dogs could run and swim. We had a bbq in a fire pit on the beach one night. There wasn%26#39;t much nearby restaurant-wise, but you could do takeout or just cook in. It%26#39;s been too many years for me to remember the specifics, but you can search vrbo by area, and pet-friendly icons make it easy to find what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment