Monday, December 12, 2011

how long to stay? is it a nice park? insects? etc.

HI- I am planning a family trip - driving to Northern Michigan during early July (mom,dad,sons 20%26amp;23) from Chicago area. We hope to visit Isle Royale NP for a few days. We%26#39;ve been to many NPs.



I wonder if Isle Royale will be worthwhile to see and for how long. I don%26#39;t see much talk about it. We will probably just do day hikes and canoe / kayak trips - no scuba diving. How long should we stay? Is the lodge an okay place to stay? are the insects horrible in July?



Also- I%26#39;d welcome ideas about other places to see and stay in the No. Michigan area. Thanks- mollieko



how long to stay? is it a nice park? insects? etc.


Hello mollieko,



Welcome to the Michigan Forum.





I haven%26#39;t stayed at Isle Royale but I know it is pretty wilderness. The best information I could give you is do a search for Isle Royale on the internet. I have read some interesting things this way. I know getting there is a trip in itself. You may concerned leaving from Minnesota.





A place you might enjoy for day hikes and the scenery is the Porcupine Mountains.



http://www.porcupinemountains.com/



I spent a day there and just loved it. I rented a cabin on Lake Gogebic and traveled there from the cabin. Lake Gogebic is the largest inland lake in Michigan. The central and eastern time zones go right though it.



http://www.lakegogebic.com/





If your not to familiar with the internet and would like me to post some web sites about Isle Royale National Park that you could check out, just post back and I would be more then happy to do this.



how long to stay? is it a nice park? insects? etc.


Definitely try out the Porcupine Mountains which are IMHO the best park in Michigan outside of Isle Royale. This site has lots of info:





parkcamper.com/Porcupine-Mountains-Wildernes鈥?/a>





Porcupine Moutnains Wilderness State Park has several things going for it:





1. 50,000 acres. It%26#39;s not wimpy. There is room to roam. Most midwestern parks are tiny.



2. Very nice rivers.



3. 20 miles of gorgeous lake superior shoreline



4. 30,000 acres of old growth forest make it stand out considerably from the rest of the nothwoods.




Isle Royale is definately worth seeing. Take the Isle Royale Queen out of Copper Harbor for a faster trip or the park service%26#39;s boat - the Ranger which is larger. It%26#39;s based in Houghton. The lodge is basic but comfortable. If you%26#39;ve not looked at the park%26#39;s website you should as weekends and high season rooms fill fast. IMHO 2-4 days is enough for me on the island. There will be mosquitos in July.




I think IR is a great place to visit. You might consider the housekeeping cabins? Ask for one with a view, if possible. There are dayhikes, canoe rentals and interesting Ranger presentations. I think the park is fascinating for those who love wildlife and wilderness.





Going there is not a cheap trip, though. I also second the Porkies as a great place to visit, too. Beautiful dayhikes there. If you are a hiker, try to reserve the ';Buckshot'; rustic cabin in the park, as it is super-great.





Amy




Thanks for all the good information! I think we%26#39;ll go to Isle Royale for a couple of days, and we%26#39;ll try to see the ';the porkies'; as well. I%26#39;ll let you know how it goes. If anyone has other info about the Michigan upper peninsula, let me know.



Mollieko

No comments:

Post a Comment