Monday, December 12, 2011

Suggested hiking direction / moose / Houghton

I%26#39;m hoping to backpack the length of the island in late July. I%26#39;d appreciate any input on 1) any advantages or preferences on the direction I hike, and 2) any area(s)of the island where I%26#39;m more likely to see moose?

This will be my first visit to upper MI. I%26#39;ll most likely fly to/from MI and overnight in Houghton. Any hotel, food or other town or airport suggestions would also be helpful.

Suggested hiking direction / moose / Houghton

I hiked the the Feldtman Lake-Island Mine loop about 7 years ago and saw several moose over three days, including a few right on the Greenstone Ridge trail. The problem is that at the time, there were over 1000 moose on the island. Today there is slightly over 300. The good thing is that if they are in the vicinity, they are pretty used to seeing people and won%26#39;t run away. The wolves are almost impossible to see.

You didn%26#39;t say whether you were going out and back or just one way and you may have already addressed this but if you plan to go just one way and take a boat back to the other end, you need to do some planning because by the time you get back, it may be too late in the day to catch the last boat of the day back to Houghton or Grand Marais.

The other factors for me to go to the west end was that the boat trip from Grand Marais to Windigo is only about 1.5 hours. From Houghton the boat trip is about 4 hours. Also, the western end is a lot less crowded.

Suggested hiking direction / moose / Houghton

Edit: Just checked the website and good news it appears the moose have rebounded from their lows in the 300%26#39;s in 2006-2007 to almost 650 according to the latest study published 5/08.


The airport that serves Houghton/Hancock is in Hancock, the code is CMX. The Franklin Square Inn is just one block from the dock if you are taking the boat out of Houghton. You can also find lodging at http://www.coppercountry.com


I hiked there in 2006, doing a loop of the Rock Harbor end. I was surprised that I didn%26#39;t see any moose until I was fairly close to Rock Harbor. Even when we were out on the Minong - no moose.

My personal recommendation is to take the Copper Harbor ferry since it is shorter than the Houghton. It%26#39;s a smaller boat, but shorter time is better in my book.


Thanks very much for your reply. I%26#39;m happy to say I%26#39;m hooked on IRNP and ended up doing two trips on the Isle last year, 115 miles total. Now I%26#39;m hoping to go back the end of this summer to hike the remaining trails. You mentioned the Minong. That%26#39;s part of where I%26#39;ll be hiking on my next trip - at least the section between Todd Harbor and Windigo. Any thoughts on which direction to hike it? I%26#39;ll be doing parts of other trails at both ends so I can plan it either way. I%26#39;ll be getting a back country permit to campout one night between N. Desor and Washington Creek campgrounds. If you did the same, any suggested spot(s) to pitch my tent?

Thanks, and happy trails!


I%26#39;ve been thinking about going back, which is why I am browsing the forum. I am not nearly so hard core as yourself - I can%26#39;t do more than 8 miles with a big pack on. I%26#39;d like to hit two campgrounds we missed last time - Chippewa Harbor and Lane Cove.

When we hiked the Minong, it was really the easiest section - McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor. I have always heard that the Minong is easier from West to East. From the section we did I can agree that would be true. That trail is particularly rocky. Todd Harbor is a beautiful campground. It%26#39;s tied with Moskey Basin as my fave.

Happy travels!


I%26#39;m not as hard core as you think, I always get where I%26#39;m going, but slow. I%26#39;ve learned to take an hour, boots off break for lunch on the long days. It really helps. And I prefer the 6-8 mile days when possible.

I went to Lane Cove from Rock Harbor the first day/night of my second trip. Was nice, just know the trek off the ridge to/from the cove is a bit steep in places, with big steps if you%26#39;re short like me, especially at the beginning of a trip with a full pack. Chippewa Harbor was gorgeous. It has a few shelters on the high side of a boulder surface leading down to the shore/dock. I accepted a canoe ride into the harbor early one morning and we saw wolf on the opposite shore, feeding on a bull moose. It was toward the end of my fall trip - another unexpected, magical moment on the Isle. Good luck.

  • ittwit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment