Monday, December 12, 2011

Tapawingo closing :(

I just popped onto the Tapawingo website to drool at the menu and saw the announcement that it is closing due to the economy. Very sad. They will be missed.

Tapawingo closing :(

OMG! I am so sorry to hear that. Even though my family affectionately renamed it ';Tap-a-Wallet';, I always loved that there was a restaurant of that quality in little Ellsworth...actually two. Is the Rowe Inn OK? I certainly hope so as I have enjoyed both over the years.

Thanks for the information. Moms

Tapawingo closing :(

A double whamy. High gas prices last year kept the tourist season in check, and now with the current environment he problably just didn%26#39;t see things getting better. We%26#39;ve eaten there a few times but I doubt we%26#39;d spring to go again. Unfortunately we%26#39;ve lost a couple of favorite restaurants in our area as well. Sign of the times I guess.


Wow, I was shocked when I read your post, and Mom has said it well, as well as Rono. Not surprised though, not really. A few of our favorites in our area have closed also. Eventually, better times will return. Let us hope so, anyway!


Here is the qoute from the Tapawingo website for anyone interested...

After an emotional decision process, I am announcing the closing of Tapawingo. The downward trend in our economy over the past few years has made it increasingly difficult to maintain the style and standards for which I have wanted Tapawingo to be known and remembered.

I am very grateful for all the loyal regulars who have supported Tapawingo for the past 25 years, and I am especially thankful for all my friends and associates, many of them, a core local staff that have taken so much pride in the restaurant. They have been the continuity that made it possible to maintain a restaurant of quality and creativity. I am greatly beholden to them all.

I have never tired of driving down that gravel driveway into Tapawingo, whether observing the gardens and the lake, or that winter mound of snow in the parking lot I called Mt. Ellsworth. I have been very fortunate to have called that my home and workplace for all these years.

I would love to see the restaurant continue, and I do think that it is possible. I would be happy to help “transition” some tenacious/creative person into a renewed Tapawingo with, perhaps, a more casual menu and limited season.

If anyone has an interest in acquiring the restaurant as a business, or for a private residence, feel free to send a message to me at: tapdining@aol.com

Again, I am sincerely grateful to those who appreciated and supported the twenty-five years of Tapawingo.

Chef/Owner, Chef ';Pete'; Peterson


Food excellent. Service fantastic. Noise from a table of twelve sitting next to you, horrible. $100.00 per person charge, way too high.

  • ie tab
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment