Monday, December 12, 2011

is it good to visit Mackinac Island at this part of the year

Hi all.



I live in Detroit, and I have one week vacation starting tomorrow.



I wanted to go out somewhere close. I like the natural landscapes of Mackinac island. but I was wondering if it is good to visit Mackinac Island at this part of the year.





please advise me.



thanks



is it good to visit Mackinac Island at this part of the year


I, personally would not visit the island this part of the year. Most everything is closed. Nothing opens til the beginning of May meaning the shops and most hotels and inns. Also, I think all three ferry lines dont really start their 2009 schedules until just before most of the places on the Island open for the season. I think a good time to visit is the last part of May or first part of June. This is the time period I went last year and also is the time frame I am visiting again this year. The temperature is right around 70. Just right.



is it good to visit Mackinac Island at this part of the year


The Island is still beautiful this time of year, but I think a couple of days would be pleanty. Here are photos from a year ago and info on how to get to Mackinac Island in winter: www.mightymac.org/mackinacislandwinter.htm




I am not sure the Ferries run regular at this time of year. Mackinac is one of the most beautiful areas in our state- go in Summer or Fall and truly enjoy it then..




As already mentioned, the island is very quiet right now. Ferries are not running so a short airplane ride is the only way on %26amp; off the island.





If near total isolation is what you seek, it might be good, but in my humble opinion, wait until the shops, inns and restaurants are open and then enjoy exploring the island when it%26#39;s truly beautiful.





In the future, going over the New Years holiday or during the island winter festival when you can probably ride over on the ice bridge would yield more enjoyment for you.




I take it you have already left. I%26#39;d go furthur north and and see Tahquamenon Falls also. And then head on down to Traverse City and Petoskey. You will get a good variety of activities and nature that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment