Saturday, April 3, 2010

Best units at Sleepy Hollow?

I%26#39;m interested in staying at the Sleepy Hollow Beach Resort this summer with my husband, toddler daughter, and infant son. Does anyone have any particular units there that they would recommend? The cottages seem very different from the condos. Pros and cons? I am looking for 2 or 3 BR and would like as much quiet and privacy as possible.





Thanks!



Best units at Sleepy Hollow?


Sleepy Hollow is private and gated so I have no way of driving back there. However, I do know the cottages were extensively remodeled and some replaced or nearly replaced. I can see them from a road on the back side of the resort. This brings up a point, that you may want to be aware of the location of the cottage on the grounds. The road is not a busy one, but a couple of the cottages are very near (a matter of feet)to it separated by a privacy fence. The main building (I%26#39;m assuming the condos, btw they are all privately owned) looks more dated. Units there however would have lake views. The cottages start near the lake but stretch back several hundred yards. Sorry I can%26#39;t be more help. I think its a lovely resort.



Best units at Sleepy Hollow?


Looking at there site map I think I%26#39;d avoid the buildings they call Terrace and Patio. I know those buildings are old and are in a very shaded and dark part of the property.




Thank you!




The Shore building is the best, if you can get into it (it%26#39;s also the most popular!). The top units have beach views and you can hear the waves at night. The Terrace building is next to it and some of the units may have lake views. The units are spacious and good for families.




I stayed at Sleepy Hollow a couple of times a five or so years ago, before they were remodeled. We rented a couple of the smaller units for an extended family vacation. Be aware that these aren%26#39;t air-conditioned -- except for two of the units which have window air conditioners -- and summers in southwest Michigan can get hot. I cannot remember which units we rented, but they were not in prime locations on the property. (Close to the road, I think.) Even so, we enjoyed our stay both times. Everything on the property is easy to walk to, including the beach, although it does require walking down a number of stairs as the units are on a cliff overlooking the lake. The kids all LOVED the pool, and spent most of their time in it. We also built bonfires on the beach in the evenings, using driftwood that we had the kids collect. (Great way to roast weenies and s%26#39;mores.) There was a little snack bar available, and there were horse shoe pits and, I think, a shuffle-board area and a badminton area. Our units also had outdoor grills and tables, and we grilled almost all of our dinners. The unit I stayed in was one with 3 other units in it, but they are cleverly arranged so that you%26#39;re not aware of other renters in the other units that share the building. Even though the place was filled with vacationers, it never felt over-crowded, and we experienced a surprising amount of family privacy for what would on the surface appear to be a small ';camp';. It also had a great family atmosphere. I loved the cute architecture of the units, and thought that the all-glass fence around the pool was an especially cool, retro touch. (It also makes it easy to check if family members are poolside or not.) We loved our two summer vacations there, and they are a great topic for family reminisces, but sadly we%26#39;ve never been able to spend time there again. From what I can tell, the new up-dated interiors look much nicer than what we experienced (not that they were bad before.)




Have you thought about Beachwalk Resort in Michigan City, IN? We have been twice...once with a toddler and newborn and once for a family reunion. We LOVE it! It has EVERYTHING (pool, parks, fishing, store, boats, beach access, etc.).




We stayed there last year and would like to go back with our daughter and infant son this summer. Unfortunately, I have emailed them 3 times and called and left messages to find out about availability and so far no message has been returned! I wonder if the owners know that their reservation department is not doing their job. I%26#39;m still hoping for a reply.


  • makeup powder
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment