Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cool old Inn right on beach

A few (or actually many) years ago I stayed at a very cool old Inn right on the beach between Petoskey and Harbor Springs. I am trying to remember it%26#39;s name and if they are still in business. I remember driving down a very pretty treed road and the Inn had an unusual name...probably why I cannot remember it.



Any body out there know what I am talking about??



Cool old Inn right on beach


The only one I can think of is Stafford%26#39;s Bay View.





http://www.staffords.com/bay-view-inn-2/



Cool old Inn right on beach


Or possibly Leggs Inn in Cross Village north of Harbor Springs. I always thought of Leggs Inn as a restaurant only but I see they have cottages.




That would have been the Harbor Inn. It%26#39;s gone. They tore it down and built little cottage townhomes there. It was a very cool old place but had out lived its usage.



You can still drive along the shore road past the site. From Petoskey, turn off the highway at Menonaqua Beach Rd (past %26#39;Toskey Sands and just before the airport) and follow it through the trees until it comes out on the beach. You%26#39;ll pass some condos on the left and then the Harbor Inn site and the townhome community. The road continues through the woods into Wequetonsing. That part of the woods and the road has been preserved by the Offield family. (Thanks Bud, Eddi, Jim, Packy et al) They have been a huge part of Harbor Springs through the years and are loved for it.




This is funny.It was not the Harbor Inn, but Red Rox



you did give me the winning clue. The words Menonaqua Beach road set off a big light bulb in my head. I googled Menonaqua Beach Inn and sure enough there it was with lots of pictures of the beautiful beach I remember. I just hope I am not too late for this summer.



Thank you, Red Rox!




Glad I could help. I had forgotten about that one. I didn%26#39;t think that Harbor Inn sounded too unusual, but it was a very cool old inn. Have a good trip.




Red: I am laughing thinking about the Harbor Inn. In 1983 my sorority from MSU rented out the entire Harbor Inn the year it reopened and was scheduled to be renovated. It was a bit of a dump but had an amazingly beautiful lobby and porch. My now husband and I attended the dance with my Alpha Chi sisters. It was great fun and a great memory. We took a drive by it a couple of years ago and were sad to see that it was gone but even in 1983, it was past its prime.





Another funny story from the Harbor Inn is the fact that my husband%26#39;s 96 year old grandmother worked there as a waitress when she was a teen. She loves to tell stories about the beautiful people who spent their summer vacations there in the 1920s. Moms




BTW Red, we were in Sedona on Wednesday. It was very cold but oh so stunning. We will be back! Moms




That%26#39;s a cool story about your %26#39;grand mother in law%26#39;. Sorry I missed you in Sedona. Wednesday was the one day this week that I chose not to play golf. You%26#39;re right, it was cold! Got better today though. 60-70s forecast now and I doubt it will be cold again until the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment