Saturday, April 3, 2010

Drive by Postings

A recent post in the Mackinac Island forum prompted this post, but I have seen similar posts many times, both here and on other travel forums. I didn%26#39;t post this as a direct response to that post, because I think the person is sincere.





Someone who has never participated in the forums, suddenly makes a single post with a significant complaint about a business. Don%26#39;t they realize that they have never established any credibility? We know they have an axe to grind (or in some cases might be a competitor trying to knock them down), but we don%26#39;t know them enough to evaluate how reasonable they are.





I do worry that people that don%26#39;t normally read the forums will find the post during a web search and give too much weight to the complaint. Yes, it says ';Posts: 1'; below their handle, but someone that hasn%26#39;t been here before is unlikely to note that. Perhaps Tripadvisor should include a note at the bottom of new users post noting that this is one of the first (or only) times the individual has posted something?



Drive by Postings


Some other forums I have participated in indicate prominently that a poster is a ';Junior Member'; until the poster reaches a certain number of posts on that forum.





Perhaps that is something TA could consider.





Having been on this forum for a while, when I come across a particularly nasty post I always check to see if the poster has and experience here. If they don%26#39;t it doesn%26#39;t automatically rule out their concerns in my mind, however it does prompt me to take what they say with a grain of salt.





You are correct in that some who are new to this forum would not necessarily look to see how much someone else has contributed.







Drive by Postings


So from time to time we need to post a thread like this that helps readers discern between %26#39;drive by posters%26#39; (I love that term) and legitimate posters who have experience and a dedicated interest to the forum or the destination.



Interestingly, the negative forum posts get lost after a short time when there is no response or activity, where as a posted review for a particular hotel, restaurant or attraction stays up and in the foreground for that subject.



I%26#39;m sure that TA is aware of this issue and tries to monitor these posts, but input from participants drives their actions. And I think some of the upcoming changes to the system will attempt to address the matter.




This was discussed several times on the ';How to make TA Better'; forum (currently called TA Feedback forum). It was suggested a ranking be used based on contributions to forums and reviews and the like. I%26#39;m not sure where the idea is now.





You know the old saying ';everyone has an opinion'; and that%26#39;s what’s offered here. I quite often look at profiles when I read a new posters opinion especially when it%26#39;s somewhat controversial. I think the problem you bring up is more in the small markets like Michigan where there aren%26#39;t multiple posts giving some feeling of consensus. I guess I’ve grown callous to the problem as now I just move on and ignore the post (unless it’s obviously breaking ta posting rules, whereas I’d report it).

No comments:

Post a Comment