Thursday, April 1, 2010

Long term parking at DTW

Hello all you friendly Michigan folk!



I%26#39;m going to be flying out of DTW with NWA in a couple of weeks on a ten day trip to France.



Wondering where is the best/cheapest safe place to leave the car while we%26#39;re gone. I understand parking is available at the ';Big Blue Deck'; for $7 a day. Can anyone confirm this? Is it easy to get from the BBD to the McNamara terminal which is, I think, where we will be departing from?



I have also found parking at Park%26#39;n%26#39;Go off I-94 at Exit 197.



I am thinking the BBD would be better besides being cheaper. Am I right?



Any other suggestions?



And who is McNamara besides being the leader of the band?



Many thanks for any and all advice!



Long term parking at DTW


It%26#39;s been a while since I%26#39;ve parked at Metro Airport, but I always used to use US Park on Middlebelt Road. Their website is www.us-park.com and has a coupon for 1 free day. The regular rate is $8.50.





Quick Park is on Merriman Road north of I-94 and is also $8.50 per day. They also have an online coupon for 1 free day at Quikpark.com.





All the facilities have shuttles to NWA%26#39;s terminal and are secure.





The advantage to the private lots, the shuttles cruise around to pick you up and drop you at your car. I%26#39;m not sure if the BBD does that.



The advantage to the deck is that your car is covered instead of on a surface lot.





If you%26#39;re going to be parked for about 10 days, it would cost about the same with the coupon.





Ed McNamara is the former Wayne County Executive who died recently. The Smith, Davey and Barry Terminals are also named for Wayne County officials.



Long term parking at DTW




Yes, there are some designated $7/day parking on the BBD. My husband used to use this when he travelled, but found shuttle service to be at times much longer than expected. Our favorite place to park is at Qwik Park located on the west side Merriman Rd. about 1/2 mile or so north of I-94. There is usually a shuttle following your car while you%26#39;re going to park and never had to wait long for a return shuttle. Here is their website where you can print a coupon. They also have AAA rates if you%26#39;re a member of AAA. Also, sometimes they will combine discounts.




Thank you both for your suggestions and help. Lovevacations, if you happen to check back here could you post that link, please? If you don%26#39;t see this, no problem. I%26#39;m sure I can find it.



I%26#39;ll check the places you suggest. I%26#39;m thinking it probably won%26#39;t snow during September (one never knows for sure, though...) so having covered parking is less important than good shuttle service. And we%26#39;re leaving the Ferrari home for the kids to use (Yeah, right! Like that would ever happen even if I did own a Ferrari...) so I%26#39;m not too worried aboutt he effect of a few days exposure to sun and/or rain...






Sorry, I meant to leave it. You probably found it already, but here it is anyway.





http://www.qwikpark.com/coupons.html




http://www.metroairport.com/





DTW%26#39;s website. Good map and parking information etc. Just give your self plenty of time to catch the shuttle over to McNamera if you park in the BBD. BTW if my memory serves me correctly, McNamera was a famous politician in detroit area. Good luck with NWA. Let us know how that goes.




Just an update to the information on this thread.





Long term parking on site at the Big Blue is now $16 a day. There are online coupons for both Quik park and US Park for $10 per day.





Also, a number of hotels (the Westin and many of the Hilton brands in the area) have park and stay plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment